I am not a writer; quite honestly, I tend to ramble BUT...



In Hebrews 3:13, it states, "but encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness."



So, I am answering God's call and sharing my thoughts and my passion. I love Jesus with all my heart and I want the world to know why.



Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Over the past two days, Andrew and I discussed the intensity of God's love.  John Marc's birth not only brought immense joy to our lives, a mess of toys, diapers, and laughter, he also brought us a new perspective, a more complete perspective on God's love, his mercy, and his true sacrifice for us.


As Andrew says, to limit the significant events in our lives to just one is an immense slap in the face to our Lord.  However, if forced to pick one, major life event that forever changed our lives - we both would, hands down, pick John Marc's birth.  We pick this for the obvious - life is different... now we have less time and more fun; we operate on less sleep (sometimes) and enjoy a mess of bottles (now sippy cups) on the counter; we make no decisions without first thinking of him - how will this decision affect him?  Do we need child care?  And, we smile knowing he is here, listening to his laugh, and watching him zoom cars around the house.  Life is different... but its definitely better!  We pick his birth for not so obvious reasons as well - John Marc helped us fully appreciate the term selflessness - it is no longer about us... its about him.  John Marc showed us the love between a parent and a child.  He showed us what is means to fully and completely love someone with no expectations, no strings attached, no conditions - nothing... just love.  John Marc showed us that a toothless grin can change a bad day IMMEDIATELY!  And that a stinky diaper can actually be a source of conversation.  He showed us what is means to be "made in the image of God" and experience this miracle first hand.  And, John Marc continues (unbeknown to him) to show us how biblical truth can be applied - to help us better understand biblical truth.  Who knew a 7 pound, 7 ounce tiny baby could change our biblical perspective and further define biblical truths in a mere matter of minutes?  


First, John Marc's life helps us to better understand the love of Christ:


In scripture we read about God's love for us...  


John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life.


Romans 8:37-39 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.



1 John 4:9-11 In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.


Numerous verses report that God loves us.  But, really, what does that mean?  I think of my little man.  From the moment I laid eyes on him... found out about him... felt him move... he captured my heart.  I would not trade him for ANYTHING!  I would lay down my life in a heartbeat... and I would go to the depths of the earth just to know that he was okay.  God too is a Father - his son is Jesus.  Don't you think he feels the same way?  He knows, well, he invented, the unconditional love between parent and child.  But, yet, despite his love for his son - he gave his son for me!  He sacrificed his son for my sorry self.  He laid down His son's life knowing that I would mess up, turn away, run away, and stay away from him.  He gave up his son knowingly and willingly for people who don't care, don't listen, don't focus, and, quite frankly, don't like him.  He gave up his son for murders, robbers, thieves, mean people, nice people, small people, big people, rude people... and even those people that drive us to insanity.  When he gave up Jesus, he KNEW these people, he SAW their faces, and he chose to give up Jesus anyway.  Talk about love...  I can honestly say (call me selfish), I would chose John Marc over those people... But, thankfully God did not.




Secondly, John Marc's life helps me to better understand what it means to reach out to Jesus...


I heard a song yesterday - the lyrics read, 
"We are your sons and your daughters..
Clay in the hands of the potter...
Reaching to the arms of the Father..
Reaching to you...."


And, I immediately thought of John Marc.  His arms, his actions, his responses... made me realize God's love and his response.  John Marc will often crawl over to us, throw his arms in the air and look up with great anticipation.  He KNOWS we will pick him up.  He KNOWS we will take care of him.  He isn't rude, isn't haughty, isn't spiteful... saying, "oh, mom - you've got this... I don't have to do anything.  HA HA HA"  He simply knows - "mom, you're going to take care of me... I cannot wait to be in your arms.  YAY!!! Mom will be there... she will know what to do... Please mama... just hold me... I'm yours!"  He is sweet, he is wanting, and he is confident.  And, of course, I pick him up.  


We should reach our arms up to God in such great anticipation.  Not expecting him to do things just because we deserve them, but expecting him to do things because he is our daddy.  We need to throw our arms up, look up wide eyed and will great anticipation, and squeal (like John Marc) knowing that Jesus will take us in and hold us close... knowing that when we need to get somewhere... God will carry us all the way.  


Psalm 143:6 "I stretch out my hands to you; my soul thirsts for you like a parched land."






"Come all you who are thirsty, come to the waters..." Isaiah 55:1

No comments:

Post a Comment