I am not a writer; quite honestly, I tend to ramble BUT...



In Hebrews 3:13, it states, "but encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness."



So, I am answering God's call and sharing my thoughts and my passion. I love Jesus with all my heart and I want the world to know why.



Thursday, September 2, 2010

Pay Attention This is Important

I teach math. And, seeing as how I keep detention every week, I have an extra hour of "free" school time each Wednesday afternoon - during which, I accidentally stumbled upon the coolest calculator feature EVER! Not only is the feature cool, but it directly relates to our project (which is due next Friday).

So, of course, class today began with the cool calculator feature. And, as you can guess - there is always one student - one student who doesn't listen. One student who simply wastes his or her time... and as a result wastes your time. Instead of following along, he or she daydreams or talks... so, when everyone is done, he or she, of course, has questions. (I will admit - I've been that student... but regardless, that student's blatant disregard for instruction drives me crazy!)

Well, I am up at the board, showing off the calculator feature while everyone is emulating my every move. We are calculating it up. We are asking questions. And, we are done. Five minutes later, I hear a small voice in the back - "what did we just do? I wasn't paying attention - how do I do that?" And, here was my thought - you didn't listen to me so I don't want to listen to you. You didn't heed my instruction, so why do I want to help you in your time of need?!?? (Of course, I did help, but the thought was still there).

And, immediately, I remembered my devotional this morning - in Zechariah 7:11-13, we read, "But they refused to pay attention; stubbornly they turned their backs and stopped up their ears. They made their hearts as hard as flint and would not listen to the law or to the words that the Lord Almighty had sent by his Spirit through the earlier prophets. So, the Lord Almighty was very angry. 'When I called, they did not listen; so when they called, I would not listen.' says the Lord Almighty."

WOW! Talk about learning a lesson the hard way. God speaks to me often. And, sometimes, I simply act like that one student - I ignore Him - I'm too busy talking to my neighbor or completing some other task, or maybe I'm just dazed out... whatever the reason - I refuse to listen to the one who KNOWS. Instead, I choose to be uninformed. Then, later on, I realize - I need God's help. I cannot do this on my own! So, what do I do, I raise my hand and ask, "can you help me God?" And, he says, "nope... you should pay attention."

I don't know about you - but, I think I'll start paying attention from now on. I desire to hear from God and, quite honestly, I desire for Him to hear me. Why risk it? I do not want to miss anything. And, I'd hate to live life thinking, "If I'd only paid attention..."


"Come all you who are thirsty, come to the waters..." Isaiah 55:1

No comments:

Post a Comment