I am not a writer; quite honestly, I tend to ramble BUT...



In Hebrews 3:13, it states, "but encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness."



So, I am answering God's call and sharing my thoughts and my passion. I love Jesus with all my heart and I want the world to know why.



Thursday, January 13, 2011

Best Friends

I pick up the phone to call my friend Jenn... its been a few weeks, but nothings changed. We still laugh, giggle, chat, and carry on like no time has passed. We have the "never goes away, pick up where you left off" kind of friendship. The one in which I know she is ALWAYS there for me, but I don't need to hear her voice everyday.

Unfortunately, I often treat my relationship with God like my relationship with Jenn. Of course in Jeremiah 33:3, He tells me, "Call to me..." so I know I can always call on Him. I can call on him in distress - In 2 Samuel 22:7, we learn “In my distress I called to the LORD; I called out to my God. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came to his ears." And, I can call on Him in the good times - (Galatians 4:6) - "Because you are his sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, “Abba, Father.”

But, will I call on God at all times? (Job 27:10) Its not that I want to discount this immediate calling, the ability to rely on God regardless of how my devotional life the past few weeks was going. Don't get me wrong - I am thankful for an ever faithful, ever forgiving God... who loves me and provides me with aide even when I don't deserve it. But, doesn't God deserve so much more? Doesn't He deserve for me to call on him frequently and often? And, quite honestly, how will I know if God is calling me unless I am familiar with His voice?

Its not that He needs to hear my voice daily... let's be honest - He knows whats going on. Its that I need Him daily. I need to establish that eternal connection - often and frequently. I need to know His way of thinking and emulate His every move. I need to be like Jesus - seeking God daily. Don't you think that if Jesus (who is God) needed a daily dose of God conversation that I am in desperate need of one as well? In Mark 1:35, we find "Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed." He didn't wait until times were difficult or until He had great news to share - He called upon God daily.

And, Jesus KNEW God's voice. His daily conversations with God created a unique familiarity. Just as my daily conversations with the Lord will lead me to know when God calls me (Phil. 3:14, Romans 11:29, Acts 2:39)

Now, I'm not saying that my relationship with Jenn is unhealthy and wrong because I don't call upon her daily - I shouldn't need her daily. See, Jenn and I are friends... I do not worship her. I do not model my life after her. We are companions - we don't need a daily contact... I don't need to know the ins and outs of her life.

But, God - He is a different story. I don't want God to be a mere companion... I want Him to be my everything. And, quite frankly, if He is to be my everything - I need to know EVERYTHING He is about. And, the only way to do that is to worship Him completely... and to spend DAILY time with Him. The weekly phone call is not enough. I need a daily dose of God and sometimes, I need more than one! And, through this daily dose - that is the only way I will know His voice and His desires for me.



"Come all you who are thirsty, come to the waters..." Isaiah 55:1

No comments:

Post a Comment