I am not a writer; quite honestly, I tend to ramble BUT...



In Hebrews 3:13, it states, "but encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness."



So, I am answering God's call and sharing my thoughts and my passion. I love Jesus with all my heart and I want the world to know why.



Monday, August 9, 2010

Do you Love Me More?

Today was my first day back at school with students. We did the usual - go over the rules, hand out books, etc. And, to my surprise, at the end of the day, when everyone else was headed home, one precious little boy came by my room to ask what we were studying first. He wanted to study ahead and be prepared for class! He hoped to become my favorite student by performing well. He even said, "I think I'll be your favorite student because I care about my work." And, of course, I assured him that I try not to show favoritism - everyone has something special to offer.

How often do we think the same thing about God? How often do we try to be His top student, His favorite Christian by doing good deeds? How often do we strive to make the top of Jesus' list by doing spiritual things? God - I think you'll love me more if... if I share with one person. God, I think you'll love me more if... I attend Sunday school every Sunday. God, I think you'll love me more if... I learn 25 Bible verses. God, I think you'll love me more if... I help out at the church picnic. God will love me more if... I am the star student, the one that cares... the one that works... the one who follows all the rules. I am going to become your favorite, God, because I care about my work.

In reality, that's not how things work with God. Although God asks us to do "whatever we do, whether in word or in deed, [to] do it all to the glory of God" (Colossians 3:17), he does not ask us to do things to win His favor. God loves us regardless. In fact, "while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8). Christ died for us and would do so again... even if we didn't attend church on Sunday... even if we gossip... even if we know no Bible verses.

The Lord doesn't ask us to continually check things off a list so we can rise to the top of His. No, the Lord desires we come to know Him intimately. He asks us to do two things - in Matthew 22:37-39, Jesus asks us to "love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And, the second is like it: love your neighbor as yourself." God wants us simply to Love Him and Love Them. He loves us regardless, even when we don't reciprocate. We are His favorites, even when we don't do the right thing. And, its His desire we pick Him as our favorite. Does Jesus love me more? Yes, He loves me more than I could ever love Him. Does He love me more when I accomplish more? No - He loves me unconditionally. And, I should serve Him out of love, not out of obligation or a desire to reach the top of his favorites list. The good news is - God plays a different game of favorites and we are all at the top of His list already.


"Come all you who are thirsty, come to the waters..." Isaiah 55:1

No comments:

Post a Comment