I am not a writer; quite honestly, I tend to ramble BUT...



In Hebrews 3:13, it states, "but encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness."



So, I am answering God's call and sharing my thoughts and my passion. I love Jesus with all my heart and I want the world to know why.



Sunday, August 8, 2010

Side Effects - Are they Worth it?

All prescriptions come with side effects. With some, you experience drowsiness, constipation or dry mouth. Others, allow for extreme tiredness or awake, weight gain or weight loss. Whatever the effect, you must decide - is it worth it? Is it worth the side effects to save myself from this disease or ailment? Is it worth the risk? Usually, the side effects are small in comparison to the rewards. Usually, we sacrifice the little things (dry mouth, drowsiness) for the greater good (cure of a disease).

Side effects aren't solely limited to prescription drugs. No, side effects follow us in daily life. To me, side effects are simply the "what ifs" the side possibilities that stem from a greater choice.

In the Christian life, we are often faced with choices; and unfortunately, given the side effects we choose not to obey. Let me explain. In Matthew 19:19-20, Jesus commands us to Go. He boldly proclaims, "Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And, surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Jesus doesn't say, GO, if you want. Go, if you are comfortable. Teach if you know the right things to say. Jesus just says, GO, BAPTIZE, TEACH!

Yet, we, as Christians often fail to heed His call - the call to witness. We are too busy, too scared, too confused, too new at Christianity. We don't know the right things to say, we are afraid of being made fun of.... To us, the side effects seem great and the reward seems slim. The what ifs begin to overtake our brain - What if he makes fun of me? What if others hear about this? What if they say no? What if she thinks differently of me? What if this takes too long? This is definitely going to turn out to embarrass me? Our side effects are - embarrassment, time wasted, someone saying no... the list continues. The side effects to witnessing are great, but are they worth the reward?

But, if you think about it - why do we let the side effects take control? The side effects aren't so bad. And, whatever the effect - whatever we can think of - we must ask ourselves - is it worth it? Does the reward outweigh the risk?

And, upon close examination, we can honestly say - no risk outweighs the reward of Christ. Is it worth it? Yes, our witness can save someone. A simple what if should not stop us from sharing.

So, ask yourself - Side effects - Are they worth it? When faced with a witnessing situation, does the risk outweigh the reward? Or, does the reward outweigh the risk? Should I share or should I hold it in? Should I take a chance on the side effects? Its up to you... what is more important - salvation or the side effects? You choose.

"Come all you who are thirsty, come to the waters..." Isaiah 55:1

No comments:

Post a Comment