I am not a writer; quite honestly, I tend to ramble BUT...



In Hebrews 3:13, it states, "but encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness."



So, I am answering God's call and sharing my thoughts and my passion. I love Jesus with all my heart and I want the world to know why.



Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Your stories are LAME

If you know me, you know I am not one to let other people talk. Or, I guess you could say - I talk alot. Although Andrew would beg to differ, I am not a fan of my own voice. And, there are times when I have to stop and say, "really, dana, do you really think other people really want to listen to your stories?" (Emphasis on the really...)

According to my husband, I have an uncanny way of telling "funny stories" that are lame. In fact, I've been banned from starting a sentence with - "I have a really funny story" or "guess what funny thing happened to me today"... those phrases are a death sentence to my already fragile ability to create humor. And, upon a weak moment, when I use my funny phrase, Andrew's eyes immediately glaze over. He knows my story is not funny... probably pointless and a waste of time. After all, I've proven my pre-referenced humor doesn't exist. In short, he tunes me out. Now, let's be honest - we've all tuned someone out. Whether it be when a "funny story" arises, when our favorite tv show is on... or just when we don't feel like listening; we nod, we smile... and we have no clue what is being said.

This morning, I read Hebrews 4. In verse 2 it states, "for we also have had the gospel preached to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was a no value to them, because those who heard did not combine it with faith." WOW - now theres a deal breaker. To me, this verse simply said, "Dana - when you hear God's word and fail to act upon it... its like bringing home a funny story without the funny. Hardening your heart to God's word is not a way to start a conversation."

You see, scripture reading is a conversation with God. He talks, and in theory, we are supposed to listen. But, oftentimes, even the best of us, read half-heartedly. We find ourselves reading verse 12 over and over again without a clue as to what it says. Or, we read a verse, feel its inapplicable and fail to look for ways to act upon it. God speaks... and we tune Him out.

Now, God doesn't preface his stories with a "funny phrase" so you can rest assured his word is important. After all, He's proven again and again for it be so. So, why not start our conversation with open eyes, an open heart... and some ears ready to listen?!


"Come all you who are thirsty, come to the waters..." Isaiah 55:1

No comments:

Post a Comment