I am not a writer; quite honestly, I tend to ramble BUT...



In Hebrews 3:13, it states, "but encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness."



So, I am answering God's call and sharing my thoughts and my passion. I love Jesus with all my heart and I want the world to know why.



Friday, July 9, 2010

Cactus vs. Liana -

On my porch are two welcome baskets with flowers inviting all to enter, well, theoretically - my flowers are dead. (I am unsure what message that sends.) I've debated about planted cacti, but do I really want to welcome people with an uninviting plant? I don't think so. Although this logic seems fairly normal when it comes to plants, we often fail to apply it to our lives.

Despite our best efforts, we often present ourselves to God and the world as cacti - and why? Cacti are caloused and lonely plants - certainly not welcoming. And, this harsh demeanor, unfortunately, carries into our daily life, whether or not we realize it.

  • We fail to drink daily from the word, for we can survive on little or no water (so we think).
  • We fail to let others in, after all - we need to be tough on the outside - no one really needs to know our true feelings.
  • We often do not share our joys, our hurts, our excitements with others as we should.
  • And, we just stand there, looking tough, not inviting those around us to experience the JOY we have found in Christ, probably because we don't know how to experience it ourselves.
  • Or, We have the knowledge inside and we are hording it - keeping it away from the world.

Isaiah 12:3 states, "with joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation!" So, why not be a plant that loves water? Why not be inviting, connecting others to the water source?

Lianas are vines that live all over the rainforest, connecting trees together and allowing animals to move freely. They begin as a small self-supporting shrubs, deeply rooted in the fertile soil, often desiring support from the plants around them. Since the liana is well rooted, it grows quickly, allowing it to give back to the environment by connecting others. And, a liana, of course, needs water to grow.

  • Like us, the liana needs a strong beginning. We need a saving faith in Christ.
  • And, as it grows, the liana realizes it cannot fully support itself - we too need support through Christian friends, church and Jesus, our Lord and Savior.
  • As the liana develops it begins making connections, helping the world around it. And, eventually, the liana becomes and integral part of its community - helping others. We too must use our fertile roots to help those around us. We need to draw from the well of salvation and establish connections to our world.

But, we must remember - to make a difference, we must have firm roots in our salvation - otherwise, we cannot grow.

So, the question is - am I a cactus or a liana? It is impossible to be both. Which one will I chose?

"Come all you who are thirsty, come to the waters..." Isaiah 55:1

No comments:

Post a Comment