I am not a writer; quite honestly, I tend to ramble BUT...



In Hebrews 3:13, it states, "but encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness."



So, I am answering God's call and sharing my thoughts and my passion. I love Jesus with all my heart and I want the world to know why.



Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Start Thinking Hateful Thoughts?

Jesus states, "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sister - yes, even his own life - he cannot be my disciple." -Luke 14:26

WHAT? How can I hate my family? (Wait, don't answer that... ) I do love my family. You see, family is a true gift from God. For me, hating them is simply unimaginable. And, then, I read this verse. If this is a requirement for Christianity, then I blew it! Guess I'd better start thinking hateful thoughts... Or, I could just try to understand the verse.

Think of it this way -
As I've mentioned before, I am privy to raise a sweet, beautiful, chocolate lab. She was a surprise for my husband from his parents and me. We ordered her (before she was even conceived), watched her grow through pictures (knowing one day she would be ours) and, then went and called her home. My mother-in-law, Darlene, and I went to the kennel and picked her out. She was the cutest, sweetest, tiniest little girl! (She snuggled in my lap and in my hands the entire way home.) Once home, we wrapped her up (put her in the equivalent of a fancy shoebox with a lid... don't worry, she was only in there for like 1 minute) and handed her to Andrew. It was love at first sight. From the moment they met, she accepted him as her master and they have been inseparable! They work together; they play together. He sits, and she sits with him. He eats and she eats too. He wakes up and she's awake. She desires so badly to be just like her daddy! And, her only desire in life is to please him! She gave up her family for a new one - and she's never looked back!

I think our relationship with God is supposed to somewhat like Olive's relationship with Andrew. Jesus knows us before we are even thought of - Psalm 139:13-16. He watches us grow, even though we may not even realize He is there - Proverbs 15:3. And, as He watches, He knows one day we will be His - Ephesians 1:5. Then, when the time comes, He chooses us - Ephesians 1:11. He calls us to be His! - John 21:19b, 2 Thess. 2:13. And, immediately, we are His children - snuggled up in His lap, held in the palm of His hand - 1 John 3:1. For, God it is love before first sight - 1 John 3:1. And, from the first moment, we are his - He becomes our master, the one we follow - Col. 4:1b. From the moment, we accept His call, our only desire should be to serve Jesus, to please him. And, from that moment, we give up our current life, even our family, and never look back!

Once we accept Christ, we are never the same. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! (2 Cor. 5:17).

Being a Christian isn't about hating other people - being a Christian is about putting Jesus first. We need to set aside everything and everyone, including our own desires, and seek to follow Him. Our one desire should be to seek Jesus and emulate His very life. Jesus says, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." - Luke 9:23.

The question is - are you willing to give up your own selfish desires for God? Are you willing to do whatever He asks immediately? What does it mean to hate your family? How can anyone hate their family? Simple - put Jesus first, family second. It means to follow God regardless of the consequence.



Verses mentioned in today's blog -
Psalm 139:13-16 "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."
Proverbs 15:3 - The eyes of the Lord are everywhere keeping watch on the wicked and the good.
Ephesians 1:5 - he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will.
Ephesians 1:11 - In him we were also chosen having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will.
John 21:19b - Then he said to him, "Follow me!"
2 Thessalonians 2:13 - But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers loved by the Lord, because from the beginning God CHOSE you to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth.
1 John 3:1 - How great is the love the Father has lavished on us,m that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!...
Colossians 4:1b - ...because you know that you also have a Master in heaven.

"Come all you who are thirsty, come to the waters..." Isaiah 55:1

No comments:

Post a Comment