I am not a writer; quite honestly, I tend to ramble BUT...



In Hebrews 3:13, it states, "but encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness."



So, I am answering God's call and sharing my thoughts and my passion. I love Jesus with all my heart and I want the world to know why.



Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Peace, Love and Happiness

Peace - just what is it? I mean, is it a symbol? A word on a t-shirt followed by love and happiness? Or, is peace something really achievable? One things for sure - peace is not that jumpy-butterfly feeling in your stomach, that aching confusion in your soul, or even that unnecessary worrying that accompanies a weird situation.

In college, I lived in a three bedroom house with two of my favorite people - Courtney and Katie. Katie lived with me for about one year, and Courtney and I toughed it out for around four. (I say toughed it out because I don't think I'm the easiest person to live with). One of my favorite memories of Katie revolves around a non-peaceful situation. You see, the three of us went to the midnight movie - Courtney and I chose some girly flick and Katie chose a horror film. She was so nervous the next few days - correction, the next few weeks - she was unable to sleep alone. Her nightmares were vivid. We would wake up to find her on the sofa, on the floor in my room, in Courtney's room, anywhere but alone. Her soul was not at rest - she was deeply troubled. Peace was no where in sight - she was not safe.

Fast forward a year, Katie moved out and moved to Germany. Courtney and I were left alone, just us two looking for another roomie. Rumor has it there was break-in at a nearby house... or maybe it was a murderer on the loose in our neighborhood. Either way, we were not at peace. Courtney and I huddled in her room, baracaded the door, interlocked arms and waited terrified for the boogie man to come. We both realize now how absurb we were acting. But, at the time - there was no rest - we were deeply troubled! We were not safe (so we thought), and peace was no where in sight.

I am sure, if you think about it, there have been times in your life when peace was not around. Peace seems to escape us when we are unsure of our future or worried about our past. And, without peace, its difficult to sleep. We then begin looking for ways to calm our souls, and unfortunately, we often look in the wrong directions. Whether it be a baracade, a friend, alcohol, drugs, whatever - we seek peace where peace simply is not.

Well, good news - I have peace! And, I read again this morning in Psalm 4:8, "I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety." You see, God knows our future and God knows our past. He is in total control, so we don't have to worry. If we put aside those jumpy butterflies, cast off those vivid nightmares, undo the baricaded door, and just let Jesus take control, we have peace. Only when Jesus is in control is there rest - our soul is no longer troubled. And, with Jesus there is peace - we are finally safe!

"Come all you who are thirsty, come to the waters..." Isaiah 55:1

1 comment:

  1. Dana, I am really enjoying your blog. This post was good timing today. ;)

    ReplyDelete